Valentine’s Day is around the corner and it’s time to start thinking about delicious gluten free desserts to make for your sweetheart! Mama’s Gluten Free Red Velvet Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies are a perfect way to say, “Will you be my Valentine?” These are also perfect to serve at the upcoming Superbowl party!
Red Velvet Cake is a popular dessert that is famous for being light, moist and with a delicious rich flavor. It is often made using a cream cheese frosting. The cream cheese topping on Mama’s Red Velvet Cream Cheese Brownies is a perfect nod to the traditional red velvet cake, not only that, the swirl design is absolutely stunning. I made these this weekend for a gluten free fair in Kalispell and my guests absolutely loved them, and I hope you do too!
Mama’s Almond or Coconut Blend Flour ~ Start with the best flour blend for excellent results!
Wax Paper- The wax paper allows you to easily room the brownies from the pan and slice into nice squares for your serving plate. Place a piece of wax paper big enough to go across the entire bottom and the sides of the pan. Lightly spray with cooking spray, then add the batter.
Red Food Coloring – If you prefer not to use food coloring, add two Tablespoons of beet powder to your flour to give it a red color. Keep in mind that the beet powder will not make it as bright red as the red food coloring.
Fun GFM Tips: Make it festive and bake in miniature heart baking pans. Or remove the brownies from the pan and use a heart shaped cookie cutter and cut out hearts. The swirl design and red color makes them look very Valentiny.
Gluten Free Red Velvet Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
- ½ cup butter or dairy free margarine, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. red food coloring
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ¾ cup Mama’s Almond or Coconut Blend Flour
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- ¼ tsp. salt[br]
- [b]Cream Cheese Topping[/b]
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9×13 pan with wax paper. Lightly spray wax paper with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl combine flour, cocoa, xanthan gum and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, vanilla, red food coloring and sugar. Mix together. Add melted butter and mix well. Slowly add flour mixture, and mix until combined. Remove ¼ cup of batter and set aside. (Batter will be thick, but if too thick add 1-2 Tbsp. of water.)
- Spread batter evenly into pan.
- Prepare cream cheese topping. Soften cream cheese in microwave for about 30-35 seconds. Add egg, sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Spread evenly over the entire top of brownies.
- Using reserve red velvet batter, drizzle several spots over cream cheese, trying to make sure there is a little bit in all sections of the pan.
- Run a knife through the red batter and cream cheese in zig zag motion across width of pan and then down the length of the pan until desired swirl is achieved.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cool completely. Remove brownies from pan, by lifting up the wax paper. Slice brownies into squares and place on decorative serving plate.