This is another recipe we Guest Posted for Celiac Awareness Month. We guest posted this recipe on Pam Jordan’s Blog, www.ImaCeliac.com Pam also hosted a Gluten Free Mama Giveaway on her site.
Green Tea is the “New It Ingredient” since Cupcake Wars Winner, Andrea Maue, from Ava James Catering, introduced her winning Green Tea Cupcake with Green Tea Buttercream Cupcake in Season 4. Well perhaps it was a hit even before this episode, but this is when I was introduced to it. I have been wanting to make a gluten free version for some time now, and what better time to make it than in Spring!
I got these adorable cupcake wrappers from our local craft store, green of course! You will need to get Green Tea Matcha Powder to make these cupcakes. You can buy it a most larger grocery stores and of course at health food stores. I bought mine at our local health food store, because I didn’t want the hint of orange in the one that was at our local grocery store, since I wanted to have a lemony flavor. I like buying my spices, herbs and teas at health food stores, because I can buy them in bulk and get just what I need.
My version of Green Tea Cupcakes have a hint of lemon flavor in the cupcake and then the lemon glaze just make these pop with flavor and beauty. If you don’t want the cupcake to have a hint of lemon, just leave the lemon zest out. You can also give it a “stronger” tea flavor by adding 3 Tbsp. of Green Tea Matcha powder. I used two Tablespoons so that my entire family would enjoy the cupcake.
Top it off with a fresh raspberry or blackberry for added flavor, color and freshness. If you wanted to infuse these with even more flavor you could fill them with a tsp. of high quality blackberry jam, too. I hope you like my version and hope your mom does too!
Fill muffin pan with decorative cupcake liners. You will need 18. Using a 2 inch scoop, add one scoop of batter to each muffin cup. A scoop measures out each cupcake evenly, and fills it about ¾ full. If you don’t have a scoop, you can pour batter into a liquid measuring cup and pour batter into each cup ¾ full.
Matcha Powder, Click Here
The Cutest Cupcake wrappers ever, Click Here
Follow Mama’s Recipe Boards on Pinterest: https://pinterest.com/glutenfreemama1
- ½ cup butter or dairy free margarine
- 1 ¼ cup organic sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups
- Mama’s Almond or Coconut Blend Flour
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. Green Tea Matcha Powder (Can be found at some grocery stores and most health food stores)
- 1 cup milk (dairy, rice, nut or soy)
- Dairy Free: See Mama’s Dairy Free Guide
- [b]Lemon Glaze[/b]
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 18 fresh blackberries or raspberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter with sugar, and zest. Add vanilla. With mixer running on low speed, add one eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- In a small bowl combine gf flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and the Green Tea Matcha Powder. Mix well to combine all ingredients. With mixer running on low speed alternate adding a little bit of the flour mixture and a little bit of milk until all ingredients are added in. Scrape down sides of bowl and underneath beater. Beat on medium speed 1-2 minutes.
- Fill muffin pan with decorative cupcake liners. You will need 18. Using a 2 inch scoop, add one scoop of batter to each muffin cup. A scoop measures out each cupcake evenly, and fills it about ¾ full. If you don’t have a scoop, you can pour batter into a liquid measuring cup and pour batter into each cup ¾ full.
- Bake at 350 on center rack for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Mix together the glaze. In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, and zest, and add one Tbsp. of fresh lemon juice at a time until you get a smooth glaze consistency. Dip cupcake top into glaze and set back down on plate. Top with a fresh blackberry or raspberry.