Can you say Yum?!?! Well you will after tasting this Dark Chocolate Espresso Zucchini Cake! It is delicious. No need to fret about what to do with those garden zucchini’s anymore. When life gives you zucchini’s, make zucchini cake!
I was blessed by a bounty of zucchini this year from some good friends. When I say bounty, I mean bounty! So, I am having a blast using it up, making new recipes and of course my old time favorite’s like zucchini fritters too! In my first cookbook, Gluten Free Mama’s Best Baking recipes, only available on Amazon now, and my second cookbook, In the Kitchen wtih Gluten Free Mama, you can find tons of great zucchini recipes. I will list links to the recipes I have online at the bottom of this post. I hope you enjoy this new addition to my recipe box and add it to yours!
First, you need zucchini. This time of year, all you need to do is go on Facebook and say, if anyone has extra zucchini, I would be happy to take some off your hands, and you will have it showing up on your doorstep in a hurry. There is an old saying in Montana, “Don’t leave your car windows open in August, unless you want zucchini.”
You will want to grate the zucchini. You can do this three ways. One, my favorite, is with my salad shooter, using the grater insert. I have had my salad shooter for 20 years now and it still works! It is worth the investment, let me tell you! Two, you can use a food processor that has a grater option. Third, you can use a cheese grater and use the small side if possible. Simple as that.
I made my cake with dark chocolate cocoa. It makes the cake very rich and delicious. You can certainly substitute it out for milk chocolate cocoa or any good dutch processed cocoa. To get the espresso flavor, I use instant espresso powder. I mix 2 tsp. in with my vanilla until dissolved, then add it to my wet ingredients. After that it’s your typical baking a cake directions, just like any regular cake. I did use a bundt cake pan for mine, you can certainly use a sheet cake, if you prefer. Just check it at 35 minutes and 40 minutes to see if it is done sooner, as a sheet cake pan may cook quicker and I haven’t had the chance to test it in that format yet. Enjoy!
Dark Chocolate Espresso Zucchini Cake with Chocolate Ganache
Recipe Type:Cake & Cupcakes
Author:Rachel Carlyle Edington – Gluten Free Mama
Prep time:15 mins
Cook time:55 mins
Total time:1 hour 10 mins
- 2 ½ cups Mama’s Almnod or Coconut Blend Flour
- ½ cup dark chocolate cocoa (or your favorite cocoa)
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup butter or dairy free margarine
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. instant espresso powder
- 1 cup sour cream or dairy free plain or vanilla yogurt (See notes)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups zucchini, grated[br]
- 1 cup chocolate chips[br]
- [b] Ganache[/b]
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ¾ cup cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. If using a non-stick bundt pan, lightly spray it with cooking spray. If using a regular pan, then lightly grease it with shortening or butter and sprinkle it with a couple tablespoons of cocoa.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, dark chocolate, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix and set aside.
- In mixer, cream butter until soft. Add in applesauce and sugar and mix well. Scrape down sides of bowl. In a small bowl or measuring cup, stir together 2 tsp. instant espresso powder with vanilla, until dissolved. Add to mixing bowl.
- Add sour cream or yogurt. Mix well.
- With mixer running on low speed add eggs one at a time until completely mixed in.
- Stir in zucchini.
- With mixer running on low speed, slowly add flour mixture until all of the mixture is well combined.
- Add chocolate chips and mix on medium speed for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Pour in batter around bundt pan evenly. Give the pan a little tap on the counter a couple times to settle the batter.
- Place on the rack just below the center position in oven. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and cake bounces back when touched.
- Cool Completely.
- Over a double boiler, slowly warm cream, then add chocolate chips. Stir frequently until chocolate is melted . Drizzle over fop of cake allowing the ganache to drip down the sides.
For dairy free: Use soy or coconut milk yogurt in plain or vanilla flavor. 1 cup will be about 1 1/2 containers of yogurt.
Salad Shooter, Click Here.
To purchase Gluten Free Mama’s Almond or Coconut Blend Flour, click here.
Other zucchini recipes you may enjoy:
Mama’s Zucchini Fritters, Click Here.
Mama’s Lemon Zucchini Cake, Click Here.
Mama’s Zucchini Pizzas Click Here.
Mama’s Agave Zucchini Bread, Click Here.
Mama’s Fried Parmesan Crusted Zucchini, Click Here.
I love to hear from my followers! Make a comment below or ask a question. If you make my cake, then post a picture, I would love to see it!