Mama’s Hamburger Pie is a delicious main dish that you will want to add to your gluten free dinner menu. I grew up on Hamburger Pie. It was a favorite in our household, however, I was the ONE holdout in the family. When I was young, I couldn’t stand cheddar cheese. So my mom would give me my piece, and scrape off the melted cheddar cheese. Thank goodness, as I grew up, I eventually outgrew my dislike of cheese, I now love cheese. I also started making this family recipe for my own family, although, I made some changes to it over time, giving it the “Mama” flare. My kids have grown to love this dish too, but funny thing is, my picky eater, is the lone hold out when I make this. She doesn’t like melted cheese either, imagine that! It will be interesting to see if she outgrows that like I did as I grew and my tastebuds matured. The recipe below is for a single pie, if you have a big family like I do, I recommend just making two. If you are lucky to have any left, it makes for great leftovers the next day.
Use Mama’s Pie Crust for quick and easy pie crust. Or Use Mama’s Pie Crust Recipes in Mama’s Cookbook, In the Kitchen with Gluten Free Mama. For tips on how to roll out gluten free pie crust, click here.
First Prepare the Pie Crust
- 1 single Pie Crust – Gluten Free
- 1.25 lb hamburger, low fat
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. pepper or to taste
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 2-3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg (optional)
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- [b]Egg Free:[/b] Omit the egg that gets mixed in with the cheese.
- Tomatoes for garnish
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare pie crust as per directions. Brown hamburger with onion and drain the grease. Return to skillet. Add salt, pepper, mustard, garlic powder, oregano and tomato sauce. Simmer on medium heat for 3-4 minues. If mixture appears dry, add 1-2 Tbsp. water, usually not necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix egg and milk with cheddar cheese.
- Fill the crust with the hamburger mixture. Top with cheese mixture, spreading evenly. Place sliced tomatoes on top of cheese if desire, or serve fresh after baking. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cheese is melted and begins to brown.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing into.
To purchase Mama’s Pie Crust Mix, Click Here.
As always, I love to hear from my followers. Do you like my recipe? Have a question? Leave a comment below!